Moisture is generated daily through a variety of sources (cooking, cleaning, bathing and more). Since mold requires water to grow, an escape route for the excess moisture is imperative to prevent mold. Dehumidification will help lower and maintain relative humidity below 60%, to proactively prevent the growth of mold. Proper dehumidification will remove moisture and positively affect the indoor air quality (IAQ) and property protection.
Improve Indoor Air Quality
- High humidity can make it harder to breathe especially for people with asthma
- Humidity levels directly affect the amount of allergens in an indoor environment. Allergens, such as mold spores thrive in humid conditions and reproduce quickly.
- Our bodies cool naturally through perspiration, as sweat evaporates heat is removed and the body cools. Similarly, maintaining relative humidity levels will increase comfort.
- Mold growth is often accompanied by unpleasant odors that release Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOC) during reproduction. Exposure to mVOC’s can lead to headaches, nasal irritation, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, respiratory infections, and Toxic Mold Syndrome.
Protect Longevity of Building Materials
- High levels of humidity will cause preventable damage to property
- Mold growth can quickly deteriorate structural properties
- Basements and other damp spaces are ideal breeding grounds for mold to grow
- Condensation forming on windows can quickly leading to discoloration, staining, peeling wallpaper, and blistering paint.
- Protein based building materials such as glues, paints, wood and more, provide a food source for mold to grow and reproduce.
- Mold remediation is costly and the full value of most property is never fully recovered; if moisture is not controlled, remediation will not guarantee mold prevention. Reducing the moisture and lowering relative humidity is the only way to keep mold from returning.
Building codes are becoming tighter to provide more efficient housing, but tighter envelopes do not offer sufficient ventilation. Unfortunately, insufficient ventilation will lead to moisture problems, musty odors, high levels of pollutants, structural damage, potential litigation and more. Supplemental dehumidification will maintain RH below 60%, making it possible to stay proactive in the fight against mold growth. A home dehumidifier should independently remove moisture to help resolve the issues associated with high humidity. Multi-family housing developers, general contractors, and owners are anticipating the demand to remove excess moisture and incorporating supplemental dehumidification. Proactively maintaining indoor humidity levels will help prevent mold growth and protect your property. Remember, Humidity happens… Mold doesn’t have to!
Learn more about How Protecting your Property will Protect your Investment?
Innovative Dehumidifier Systems created the IW-25 specifically for everyday use in multi-family housing apartment units ranging up to 1,500 square feet. The tamper proof and tankless IW-25 IN Wall dehumidifier and ON Wall dehumidifier requires no effort from tenants, for a hands-free dehumidification system. The versatile IW-25-4 easily installs directly IN (2×4 / 2×6) or mounts ON wall. Designed to remove over 25 pints per day, the IW-25-4 includes the FIRST integrated condensate pump (optional), LED light for simplified maintenance, all aluminum coils for longevity, a 5 year warranty and more! Innovative Dehumidifier Systems team takes pride in being deeply involved in every facet of the moisture control process and are eager to help. Purchase a home dehumidifier today!
multi family homes dehumidification