September is Mold Awareness Month.
National Indoor Mold Society established Mold Awareness Month to spread awareness about the dangers, property damage, and health effects associated with indoor mold growth.
It is important to prohibit mold growth indoors.
Molds are a natural part of the environment and can be found anywhere outside or inside. Outdoors, molds play an important role in nature by helping to decompose organic matter, including fallen leaves, broken branches and dead animals. However, it is important to prohibit mold growth indoors, because once mold begins to grow inside it can quickly spread causing property damage and health risks. Molds can grow anywhere that moisture, oxygen and an organic food source are present.
Unless we live in a sterile environment mold spores exist. Indoor mold spores are not a problem until they are alive and no longer dormant. Mold needs moisture to survive and thrive. Since mold will grow on almost anything wood, paper, carpet, food, insulation, dust, and even dirt, it is almost impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. Removing the moisture in your property is the simplest way to help prevent mold growth. Adequate dehumidification will remove moisture to help protect your property and aid in mold prevention.
Mold needs moisture to survive.
The Effects of Indoor Mold Growth
Excess moisture inside your property can quickly cause property damage.
When excess moisture collects inside your property, mold spores indoors will reproduce and can quickly cause damage to your investment.
Signs that your property can benefit from moisture management:
- High indoor Relative Humidity: Relative Humidity should be maintained between 30% and 50% as recommended by the EPA1
- Lack of ventilation and/ or air flow: An escape route for excess moisture is key to help prevent cracked/ peeling wallpaper and wall discoloration
- Musty odors/ smells are noticeable: The musty smell associated with mold is caused by the release of microbial volatile organic compounds2
- Changes in wood surfaces and structure : fluctuation in indoor humidity levels can warp and deteriorate wood
Indoor molds produce allergens and irritants that can potentially lead to a range of health problems. Since exposure to mold affects people differently depending on their sensitivity and the amount of exposure. For some, mold can cause a stuffy nose, sore throat, coughing, eye irritations, and even a skin rash. People that have asthma or are immune-compromised can often have more severe reactions. Due to the health problems associated with mold, removing high indoor relative humidity can not only aid in mold prevention but help improve the level of comfort indoors.
Reducing indoor relative humidity can aid in mold prevention
Benefits of Moisture Removal
Including a plan for moisture management in your property will not only help in the prevention of mold growth but will also help protect the property’s structural integrity and avoid the potential health issues associated with mold. The key to adequate dehumidification is to maintain relative humidity below 60% reducing the risks associated with microbials and mold.
How to help prevent mold growth
The IW25-4 in-wall dehumidifier was designed for everyday use to help resolve the issues associated with moisture indoors. The ENERGY STAR® Certified IW25-4 dehumidifier controls relative humidity (RH) by drawing up to 29 pints of moisture from the air, for a truly hands-free dehumidification system. The Innovative Dehumidifier Systems team takes pride in being deeply involved in every facet of the moisture removal process and is eager to help you find a solution.
Learn more about the benefits of proper dehumidification.
Sources 1 https://www.epa.gov/mold/brief-guide-mold-moisture-and-your-home 2 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3964988/