Proper dehumidification for homes will remove excess moisture to prevent mold growth and improve Indoor Air Quality (IAQ). Choosing the right dehumidifier for your home will help maintain humidity levels.
There are several types of applications that call for the installation of a mounted in wall / on wall dehumidifier. The following describes various scenarios whereby an IN Wall / ON Wall IW25 dehumidifier offers versatile installation for different settings, including drywall, masonry, concrete, stucco, CMU block, stucco, etc.
The IW25 dehumidifier was originally engineered for multifamily housing, its flexibility in design and unique innovation make it ideal for use in commercial, educational, industrial and residential applications as well. One of the more desirable features of the unit is the tamper-proof front cover which protects a built-in humidistat. The IW25 home dehumidification system comes with a special tool that allows facilities personnel to simply remove two security screws for easy access to perform maintenance or unit adjustments, while preventing the public from accessing the unit controls. Limiting access to unit controls not only ensures continued operation of the dehumidifier but also protects the property owner or manager from potential liability issues.
Essential features of the IW25 IN Wall / ON Wall dehumidifier:
- ENERGY STAR® Certified
- 5 Year Warranty on Parts and Labor; optional accessories not included
- rated at 45 decibels, sound levels may vary due to installation, the IW25 is one of the quietest dehumidifiers on the market
- can be hard-wired or plugged in using the supplied standard 120V plug; 2 available options for power routing
- directly drains into existing plumbing and can be hard-piped if required; 3 available options for drain hose routing
- humidistat relative humidity (RH) set point is adjustable from 30% to 90%
- efficient operation with average rated power consumption of 300 watts
- automatic re-start after power failures
- LED light visually signals when filter needs maintenance
- Upgraded all aluminum and microchannel condenser coils promote strength and longevity
The IW25 has a capacity of 29.5 pints per day. According to the American Home Appliance Manufacturer’s (AHAM) dehumidifier sizing chart this unit will satisfy supplemental dehumidification requirements for a space up to approximately 1500 square feet experiencing “very damp” conditions.
A few recent examples of wall mounted IW25 dehumidifiers include unconditioned stairwells and classrooms where the use of portable dehumidifiers proved impractical or ineffective. The stairwells in one particular case were constructed using CMU block. Prior to installing the IW25s in the stairwell, the relative humidity typically mirrored ambient conditions. On a few of the more hot and humid days, RH inside the stairwells approached 90%. In addition to the obvious discomfort of those using the stairwells there was also concern that excessively humid air was infiltrating the building through interior door openings.
The building owner was looking for a cost-effective, permanent solution to prevent excessive humidity inside the unconditioned space and contacted Innovative Dehumidifier Systems. Using the surface mounting box which is available as an accessory for the IW25, four dehumidifiers were installed inside two separate stairwells bringing the humidity down to a desired level below 60%. For more details regarding this project you can read the full case study here Senior Housing Stairwell Project.
Another example using the IW25 as a wall mounted dehumidifier in educational facilities applications involved replacing noisy and inefficient portable dehumidifiers. In this particular case, educators voiced various complaints including noise levels, drain lines into classroom sinks and the inevitable accident involving spills. Additionally, portable units were occasionally unplugged rendering them ineffective. Once mounted to the wall, the IW25 performs quietly, safely and efficiently to remove excess moisture from the classroom without interruptions or annoyances.
When evaluating where to install a IN Wall / ON Wall mounted IW25, consider power and drain sources:
- Ensure that provisions are made for bringing power to the dehumidification unit. In most commercial applications a hardwired dehumidifier is preferable. Unit can also be plugged directly into a standard 120 V outlet grounding receptacle.
- Ensure that provisions are made for draining condensate from the unit. Unlike portable dehumidifiers, the IW25 does not have a holding take which would require emptying. Instead the unit incorporates a gravity drain design. In cases where this is not practical, installers may elect to use a condensate pump to displace condensate from the unit.
Innovative Dehumidifier Systems offers an an optional Integrated Condensate Pump, for the In Wall / On Wall dehumidifier. The integrated condensate pump was designed for automatic collection and removal of condensate, when gravity drainage is not possible or practical. The IDS integrated condensate pump has a 10′ lift that can continuously flow downhill with gravity, without downhill slope able the pump can move water up to 15′. The optional condensate pump easily installs directly into dehumidifier for tamper-proof control. For alternate water displacement the dehumidifier pump rest directly in base of unit, with automatic restart/ shut off in case of power outages/ overflow.
Our Team is available to answer your questions and address any concerns.
In the case of a stairwell, hallway or common area installation take care to ensure the in-wall dehumidifier unit is installed at such a height to prevent people from walking into it. For most classroom installations or in facilities where sound is a concern the unit should be mounted at the back of the room whenever possible.
Innovative Dehumidifier Systems offers an optional Exterior Sleeve for creative installations. The IN Wall / ON Wall dehumidifier Exterior Sleeve which includes punch-out holes on side and bottom for versatile drain hose and power routing. The exterior sleeve frames the dehumidifier for a clean fit and a sleek aesthetic. The optional exterior sleeve can be used for a variety of finishes including mechanical closets, kitchen islands, and other partially recessed installations, but is not required.