UPDATED: November 16, 2021
Maintaining indoor humidity levels is beneficial not only for your health and comfort but to protect your property against damages caused by unwanted moisture. The following excerpt from the Moisture Control Handbook: New, Low-Rise, Residential Construction explains the problem with excess moisture in energy-efficient buildings:
“Moisture control is a key component in designing energy-efficient, healthy buildings. The presence of uncontrolled moisture in a building envelope will rapidly degrade structural materials and insulation. Moreover, it can lead to mold, mildew, odors, and pathogens. While the energy use impact of uncontrolled building moisture is not easy to quantify, it is obvious that the overall impact in terms of lost time, productivity, and expensive reconstruction is quite large. By analyzing moisture transport mechanisms in building envelopes and systematically describing control strategies for each, the building designer is provided with information needed to minimize the risk of moisture problems in energy-efficient buildings”1
Efficient dehumidification will lower humidity to help prevent problems associated with unwanted moisture.
ENERGY STAR® certified dehumidifiers are similar in many ways to standard units, only they use less energy. In order to receive ENERGY STAR® certification, dehumidifiers undergo strict testing, through the US Environmental Protection Agency or US Department of Energy. The energy factor is how a dehumidifier’s energy efficiency is measured, generally, dehumidifiers with higher energy factors are more efficient.
“Choosing an ENERGY STAR® dehumidifier can deliver savings on energy bills without sacrificing performance, features, and comfort while protecting the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.”2
5 Benefits of Choosing an ENERGY STAR® Dehumidifier
1. Energy Efficiency | designed to use less energy (nearly 30% more efficient3) and help save money on power bills
2. Protect the Environment | help reduce the number of greenhouse gases produced
3. Long-Lasting | use more efficient coils, compressors, and fans for high-quality products that stand the test of time
4. Thoroughly Tested | every ENERGY STAR® Certified dehumidifier undergoes rigorous testing to ensure performance meets efficiency standards4
5. Unique Features | ENERGY STAR® dehumidifiers are created by frontrunners of their industry, upgrading products to include innovative features.
HIGH ENERGY EFFICIENCY
LESS COSTS TO RUN
When choosing the best ENERGY STAR® dehumidifier for your property, energy efficiency can make a difference in saving energy and money, without compromising features. Energy-efficient dehumidifiers work to condense and collect unwanted water in the air with more efficient coils, compressors, fans, and casing for a longer-lasting life.
Cutting Edge Moisture Control
Innovative Dehumidifier Systems takes pride in providing solutions that remove moisture with the IW25-4 ENERGY STAR® certified dehumidifier. The owner of IDS, Brian Smith, developer/ general contractor, created the unit to combat issues with moisture he was having in his own apartment developments. As the pioneers of IN Wall/ On Wall Dehumidifiers, we have continued to innovate and serve our customers.
Did you Know?
The updated ENERGY STAR® 3.0 program for multifamily properties requires homes to be built with ventilation, that will provide a way for outdoor air to come inside.
- J. and Carmody, J., Moisture Control Handbook: New, Low-rise, Residential Construction, October 1991, Defense Technical Information Center, accessed November 2021, https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD1081758.pdf
- DEHUMIDIFIERS: OVERVIEW | The best dehumidifiers help reduce excess moisture… https://www.energystar.gov/products/appliances/dehumidifiers#:~:text=Choosing%20an%20ENERGY%20STAR%20dehumidifier,by%20reducing%20greenhouse%20gas%20emissions.
- DEHUMIDIFIERS: OVERVIEW | Specification
- Ask the EXPERTS | What Makes a Product ENERGY STAR Certified?https://www.energystar.gov/products/ask-the-experts/what-makes-a-product-energy-star-certified